Friday, September 18, 2015

Survival soup



This is Survival soup from the Seasoned Citizen Prepper website by MsKYprepper's article entitled Feed a Family of 4 for 1 Year, for less than $300 giving credit where credit is due.

Measure out (Weigh on scale)

8 oz of white Rice (I used basmati rice)
2 oz of Red Kidney beans (I used black beans, and will switch out Great Northern and Pinto too)
2 oz of Pearl Barley (I used quinoa)
2 oz of yellow lentils (I used Brown lentils)
1 oz Split Green Peas 
1 oz of Chick Peas or Garbanzo beans

Add 6-7 Quarts of water (I made a mistake here and only used 10 cups of water and added anoth 4 cups later, I really need 24-28 cups. eek!)
Add Bouillon or salt to taste. (I used salt)
Then add any other meats, veggies and seasonsings. (I added 1 can 12.3 oz Chicken with water, 2 cups celery,  2 cups Carrots, 1 large onion softball size diced )
Bring to a boil and simmer for two hours.

Tasted pretty good the way I made but, to make it stretch I need to make it the way it says and have bread to go with it.  I have good concentrate I can add water to, which I will do when I serve it later on for dinner.  I will warm it up in the crock pot.

We have most of this on hand already because we eat beans and rice regularly.  My husband served a mission for our church in South America and My oldest in the foreign land of Los Angeles, CA Spanish speaking Mission.  They eat lots of beans and rice.  We will be adding this as a part of our normal rotation especially for this winter.


No comments:

Post a Comment